‘Distinguished Alumnus Award’ presented during 3rd International Alumni Meet on 7th January 2007 by the Banaras Hindu University.
- Shri Prabhu Narayan Singh, Ex Minister, Freedom Fighter, Social Leader.
- Prof. R.B. Singh, member, Farmer’s Commission
- Prof. Namwar Singh, Literatteur
- Dr. Sudarshan Maini, Chairman, Maini Group, Bangalore.
- Dr. Rai Anand Krishna, Retd Prof, Ancient Indian History and Culture, BHU.
- Shri Anand Shankar Pandya, Leading Freedom Fighter, Writer, Sarvodaya Worker and Diamond Exporter, Mumbai.
- Shri G.S. Agarwal, Industrialist, Mumbai
- Smt. Kapila Vatsayan
- Shri Panna Lal Jaiswal, President, Mahamana Malaviya Msision, Retd. Chief Editor - ICAR.
‘Distinguished Alumnus Award’ presented during the Alumni Meet on 9th March 2008
- Pt. Shiv Kumar Shastri Vaid – Reputed Ayurveda Doctor, Varanasi, Pt. Malaviya ji’s grandson.
- Prof. T.V. Ramakrishnana – Eminent Scientist, member of the Executive Council, BHU.
- Prof. A.K. Narain – Eminent Geologist, Retd. Prof. Ancient Indian History and Culture.
- Mahamahopadhyay Prof. Sitaram Shastri – Sanskrit Pandit, Member Executive Council of Kashi Vishwanath Temple.
- Dr. Ram Vilas Singh Yadav – Indian Police Service, MP.
- Shri O.N. Singh, Director National Insurance Company.
- Prof. Mrs. Indranil Chakraborty, Musician.
- Shri Tribhuvan Ram – Govt of Uttar Pradesh, President, Malaviya Mission, Lucknow.
- Prof. V.P. Singh – Director, IMS.
- Prof. Ram Harsh Singh – 1st Vice Chancellor of Rajasthan Ayurved Institute.
- Prof. Sant Singh – Agricultural Science.
- Prof. Veer Bhadra Misra – Social Activist – Ganga Action Plan, Mahant of Sankat Mochan Mandir, Varanasi.
Narla Tata Rao, BHU Engineering Degree in 1941, MS. Power Systems in US. He was known as the doyen of Power Sector in India. He built the MP State Electricity Board from scratch in 1958. His name is synonymous with Energy in Andhra Pradesh, because it was during his tenure that the installed power capacity in Andhra increased by five tones. He conceived the Thermal Power Stations at Vijayawada, Nagarjuna Sagar, Sri Sailam and Lower Sileru. Recepient of many national and international awards, he was the recipient of ‘Padmashri’.
Alumni in the News
- Dr. Alumni Bhardwaj is the recipient of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (2007) for excellence in Science. He has Doctorate in Applied Physics (Space and Planetary Science) from IT-BHU. Currently he is working with ISRO and posted at Space Physics Laboratory of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Trivandrum. He has been awarded this Prize in the discipline ‘Earth, Atmosphere, ocean and Planetary Sciences’ for his fundamental contributions in the area of Planetary Science, in particular planetary X-ray emissions.
- Dr. Jagdish Shukla: Professor and Chair of the Climate Dynamics Program at George Mason University and President of Institute of Global Environment & Society has been awarded the 52nd International Meteorological Organization Prize by the Executive Council of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Prof. Shukla is deeply attached to the cause of rural education as well and has helped establish the Gandhi College in his birth village of Mirdha in Uttar Pradesh. Prof. Prof. Jagdish Shukla attended the 3rd IBAM, in Jan2007.
- Shri Himanshu Jain (Physics, 1971 batch), Director of the International Materials Institute for New Functionalities in Glass at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania has received the “Otto Schott Research Award” administered by the “Donor’s Association for the Promotion of Science” in Germany. Our alumnus received this coveted award for his work on “Jellyfish fluctuations of atoms in solids”.
- Col. Satya Pal Wahi, former Chairman of ONGC and an Alumnus of Banaras Hindu University has received the Petrotech – 2007 Life time Achievement Award for outstanding contribution in Indian upstream industry. The Award carries with it a ceremonial shawl, a scroll, a purse of Rs. Two lakh and a Lifetime Achievement Trophy. Col. Wahi who did his BSc in Mechanical and Electrical, Engineering from BHU in 1949 is a source of inspiration to all our present students many of whom will go on to apply the 3 F’s of management popularized by him (namely Fairness, Friendliness and Firmness) in their own working lives.
5. Prof. R. Shankar of Physics Department, BHU has been awarded the prestigious Raja Ramanna Award for his outstanding research work in the area of ‘Atomic and Molecular Collision Physics.
6. Prof. Yashwant Singh, BHU has got the Ramanna Fellowship to support his research work in the field of Soft Condensed Matter and Bilogical Systems.
7. Prof. Chowdhary of the Ganga Research Centre in BHU gets the National Honour Award instituted by India International Friendship Society.
Request to Alumni
Your views on how to improve / add to the ‘Distingushed Alumni List’, suggested criteria, names etc. are welcome.